Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

DEP4300 : Could not generate the root folder for app package

I'm getting this error on both the emulator and the device:

DEP4300 : Could not generate the root folder for app package 941c8ff3-20fe-4875-a95c-e37708cc11a9|VS.Debug_Win32.Byron|CN=Byron|941c8ff3-20fe-4875-a95c-e37708cc11a9VS.Debug_Win32.Byron with base layout folder of C:\Data\Users\DefaultAccount\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles. Illegal characters in path.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

if no one has any suggestions, what's the best way to get support from MS?

The $3k investment only makes sense if I can develop on it :/

• Options

@alcheByte perhaps if you shared a little more about your situation it might require less guess work on the part of those here that are trying to help.

The first red flag I see is the mention of "Illegal characters in the path"
    The second thing that has me curious is what is the "DevelopmentFiles" folder, is that something you created? Is that where you are telling Unity to save the Build output?

Can you tell us a little more about when you are seeing this error? Specifically at what step in your process, and what the process is that you are attempting?

What problem debugging steps have you taken so far?

Perhaps a screen shot or two might help.

What have you set your build settings and target device to in VS?

What versions of the tools do you have installed and what changes to your environment have you made recently?

Have you successfully deployed or connected to the device in the past, perhaps with one of the sample tutorial projects?

Is the project you are trying to deploy one of the tutorials or is this something you have created from scratch?

Please help us help you :smile:

Also please consider the idea that if you are in wave 5 and have searched these forums and the web at large and not found much on this error message that it might not be a common error message and more information that the message itself might help with the troubleshooting.

Windows Holographic User Group Redmond

WinHUGR.org - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @WinHUGR
    WinHUGR YouTube Channel -- live streamed meetings

• Options
    alcheBytealcheByte
    edited July 2016

@HoloSheep said:
    @alcheByte perhaps if you shared a little more about your situation it might require less guess work on the part of those here that are trying to help.

My apologies, thank you for the questions, that will help.

The first red flag I see is the mention of "Illegal characters in the path"
    The second thing that has me curious is what is the "DevelopmentFiles" folder, is that something you created? Is that where you are telling Unity to save the Build output?

None of those paths exist on my development machine or were entered by me directly. I also cannot find any reference to those paths in any of the project files.

Can you tell us a little more about when you are seeing this error? Specifically at what step in your process, and what the process is that you are attempting?

This is during deployment to either the device or the emulator. I get the error on the Academy Origami sample, a new Unity project and a new DirectX project. For the device deployment I used Remote Machine with the IP address of the device, I also tried the 'Device' option with the HoloLens attached to the dev machine via USB cable (that scenario failed to find the device).

What problem debugging steps have you taken so far?

Not sure what I can debug during deployment...I've attached the full build/deployment output and the manifest in case that is helpful.

Perhaps a screen shot or two might help.
    What have you set your build settings and target device to in VS?

What versions of the tools do you have installed and what changes to your environment have you made recently?

I have VS2105 Enterprise with Update 3 and recent patch (14.0.25422.01), emulator version is 10.0.14342.1018, Remote Tools for VS 2015 Update 3 (14.0.25420.1)

This is a screen shot of the DirectX project build settings-

Have you successfully deployed or connected to the device in the past, perhaps with one of the sample tutorial projects?

I believe VS is connecting properly, but I have not successfully deployed. I have been able to deploy other UWP app's to my Windows Phone and local machine (when I can get the versions aligned).

Is the project you are trying to deploy one of the tutorials or is this something you have created from scratch?

Both.

Please help us help you :smile:

Also please consider the idea that if you are in wave 5 and have searched these forums and the web at large and not found much on this error message that it might not be a common error message and more information that the message itself might help with the troubleshooting.

Understood and thank you for your time :)

• Options

@alcheByte couple more thoughts...

Are you able to connect to your device with the Device Portal? Which would be to confirm connectivity (pairing etc).

Have you tried deploying a straight UWP XAML app to the HoloLens? (The other UWP apps that you mentioned should also run on the HoloLens as 2D apps and if they deploy that might tell us something)

Do you have the Unity HoloLens Technical Preview 5.4b24 HTP installed and the matching Unity UWP Runtime? If not, which version are you using?

Are you using an insider build of Windows? Which OS Build are you on?

Have you tried a Visual Studio Repair from the Programs and Features panel in windows.

Have you tried checking for latest Windows Updates?

And after all that have you tried a full shut down and reboot of your dev PC?

• Options

@HoloSheep said:
    @alcheByte couple more thoughts...

Are you able to connect to your device with the Device Portal? Which would be to confirm connectivity (pairing etc).

Yes, all Portal functionality seems to work.

Have you tried deploying a straight UWP XAML app to the HoloLens? (The other UWP apps that you mentioned should also run on the HoloLens as 2D apps and if they deploy that might tell us something)

I just tried a new blank UWP app using all the defaults:

1>Build succeeded.
    1>
    1>Time Elapsed 00:00:09.34
    2>------ Deploy started: Project: UwpApp1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    2>DEP6701 : Bootstrapping failed with unexpected error: 'The ID value is not specified.
    2>Parameter name: id'.
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    ========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Do you have the Unity HoloLens Technical Preview 5.4b24 HTP installed and the matching Unity UWP Runtime? If not, which version are you using?

I haven't upgraded to b24 yet, still have 22. I'll upgrade that and see if it helps.

Are you using an insider build of Windows? Which OS Build are you on?

Not an Insider build. Version 1511, build 10586.494

Have you tried a Visual Studio Repair from the Programs and Features panel in windows.

Not since the update to the recent Update 3. I will try it again.

Have you tried checking for latest Windows Updates?

No updates available.

And after all that have you tried a full shut down and reboot of your dev PC?

A couple times, yes.

• Options

@alcheByte do you have the Universal Windows App Development Tools all installed on your VS install?

• Options

@HoloSheep yes:

Based upon the error I got trying to deploy the non-holo UWP, I found this thread:

http://forums.hololens.com/discussion/379/failing-to-deploy-galaxy-explorer-or-other-apps-to-hololens-emulator

I guess it's time to start removing older versions of VS, maybe a complete reinstall :/

• Options
    edited July 2016

This seems to be a known issue with Visual Studio Update 3, I'm looking into this as well.

@HoloSheep are you using Update 3 on your machine?

• Options

• Options

So it sounds like VS 15 Preview being previously installed on the same machine is the smoking gun in this case.

Nice work troubleshooting this one guys!

• Options

Doesn't seem to work, I only have one VS 2015 in my machine.

DEP4300 : Could not generate the root folder for app package ........ with base layout folder of C:\Users....\AppData\Local\DevelopmentFiles. Illegal characters in path.

• Options

@lianhau Do you have Visual Studio "15" Preview installed?