Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Model is good in Unity, but broken in Visual Studio (no errors)

edited September 2016 in Questions And Answers

Hi everybody, we have a problem with our 3D model not moving into Visual Studio properly.
The model looks fine in Unity (I have no images from Unity but this is what it looks like)

But once we import it into Visual Studio, the model seems to break near the center and the edges.

To describe it with a terrible MS Paint image, there are 2 components to our book model; the static book, and the dynamic pages that can actually turn. It's as if one of the bones in the model is no longer counted, and it's forced to "average out" to complete the build. Does anybody have any idea of what could be causing this problem? We have no errors or warnings coming up, so we don't know where to begin.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    sptspt ✭✭
    edited September 2016 Answer ✓

The problem is (most likely) the shaders being used.

The pictures you show from the emulator do look like the shaders being used there are lower quality.

There are settings that decide the quality. If it is set to "fastest" this will make the quality of rendering worse.

Remember however that hololens is not as fast as a desktop computer with one of those gigantic power sucking video cards. So framerate may drop dramatically if you change the setting.

Also, I think it is possible that the type of shaders being used aren't present on the hololens. You can fix this by writing your own shaders. But I suspect modifying the model would be easier for you.

Answers

• Options

What type of asset file is it?

• Options

@cyris90 said:
    What type of asset file is it?

Both are basic fbx files, here it is in Unity with everything looking alright.
    We can't understand the difference that may exist between the two files that could cause this error. Here's some pictures in Unity and then the Emulator:

• Options
    DineshDinesh
    edited September 2016

Here is more stripped version of our model

Left side is how it looks in Unity (or any other FBX viewer) and right side is how it looked in Emualtor

May be, we need to increase density of triangles to make it looks more curved?

1.png 8.1K
  • Options
    sptspt ✭✭
    edited September 2016 Answer ✓

The problem is (most likely) the shaders being used.

The pictures you show from the emulator do look like the shaders being used there are lower quality.

There are settings that decide the quality. If it is set to "fastest" this will make the quality of rendering worse.

Remember however that hololens is not as fast as a desktop computer with one of those gigantic power sucking video cards. So framerate may drop dramatically if you change the setting.

Also, I think it is possible that the type of shaders being used aren't present on the hololens. You can fix this by writing your own shaders. But I suspect modifying the model would be easier for you.