Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Performance in all non WMR games suffer after running WMR

I'm honestly not sure where to put this, or if it something that is unique to my setup, but after running my Lennovo VR headset and I close the Mixed Reality Portal application, performance in all my other games is significantly reduced!

Now, I believe this is video related in some way because I have accidentally found a work around for this issue. After running VR, and getting the same horrible performance, I updated my nvidia video drivers (without a reboot) and all of a sudden, everything is working properly again. So I have found, that once I am done using WMR, if I disconnect the WMR headset from the hdmi port (which prevents the mixed reality portal from running), then disable and enable the main display driver on my PC, I get all my performance and 3D quality back in all non VR games and applications, all with consistent frame rates.

As for what the performance issues are? My frame rates, which are almost always consistently to be 110+, will randomly fluctuate anywhere between 10-110 FPS, sometimes even when just standing still in a game. The type of game does not matter. I've had horrible performance from anything 3d related, that is graphic and non-graphic intensive, to even 2d pixel animated games having frame rates dip below 30 FPS. I have also noticed that the whole video display when play a game appears to be quite blurred and most shadowing/lighting will have a screen door sort of effect to them that seems to be animating in and out.

Is there anyone else experiencing these kind of odd issues with your WMR headsets?

As for the system specs:

WIndows 10 Home 64 bit
i7-7700K 4.20 Ghz (not overclocked)
Nvidia 1080 Ti
32 GB ram
Display port Main display AOC AGON AG271QG (g-sync)
Other display ports, 2K monitors @ 60 Htz
Lenovo Explorer headset

Thank you for any assistance in advance.

Comments

• Options

Next time you exit WMR portal, try launching task manager, then go over to performance. Is your disk going crazy? If so, click "Open Resource Monitor" and the bottom and under "Disk" sort by Total(B/sec) desc. Are you having the same wacky c:\windows\temp\HologrphicShell.etl slamming that I discovered today?

• Options

After exiting from the WMR portal, start up an admin command prompt and run logman stop HolographicShell -ets to see if that takes care of your performance issue.

• Options

@NXTwoThou I've looked around for those tasks running afterwards, but no odd disk/CPU activity after running VR. Though, pointing out .etl files to me made me discover how many files are being written a lot by windows in the SleepStudy folder.

And I did try the command you suggested to stop HolographicShell, it did end successfully, but video performance is still abysmal. Are there any other processes/services run that I could try stopping to see if that fixes things? Thank you for suggestions thus far NXTowThou.

• Options

That trace was the only performance gobbling thing I had on my machine. I'm using the latest fast ring insider preview(17074). Are you using Fall Creators? Maybe it's something that's been fixed?

• Options

I'm only on Falls Creative here 1709 16299.192; been too busy to try playing around with preview builds

• Options

Thought I would come back and answer my own question in case anyone else may have been having this or other odd issues.

My whole issue is apparently windows standby memory is not properly releasing at all on my computer. Here I am with 32 Gigs of ram, and sometimes standby memory would take up half the amount of memory, and never releasing the memory (with files that have not been in use for days).

Originally I was using Sysinternals RamMap to manually clear the standby list, but this utility has stopped working completely with the last major windows 10 update, so I'm using other utilities to free up my standby memory. When I clear by standby memory before or after running anything WMR related, I don't have any issues.