Hello everyone.

The Mixed Reality Forums here are no longer being used or maintained.

There are a few other places we would like to direct you to for support, both from Microsoft and from the community.

The first way we want to connect with you is our mixed reality developer program, which you can sign up for at https://aka.ms/IWantMR.

For technical questions, please use Stack Overflow, and tag your questions using either hololens or windows-mixed-reality.

If you want to join in discussions, please do so in the HoloDevelopers Slack, which you can join by going to https://aka.ms/holodevelopers, or in our Microsoft Tech Communities forums at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/mixed-reality/ct-p/MicrosoftMixedReality.

And always feel free to hit us up on Twitter @MxdRealityDev.
Options

Issues with building Hololens Emulator

Tried doing the very basic Holograms 101E tutorial however I am unable to get visual studio to build the Emulator. Since I couldnt get the tutorial files to work i thought about trying testing the process with a simply box but I am still getting the same 2 errors and cant seem to get rid of them.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error CS0012 The type 'CoreApplicationView' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'Windows, Version=255.255.255.255, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, ContentType=WindowsRuntime'. holotest C:\Users\jared.turner\Desktop\holotest\App\holotest\App.cs 34 Active

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error CS0012 The type 'CoreWindow' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'Windows, Version=255.255.255.255, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, ContentType=WindowsRuntime'. holotest C:\Users\jared.turner\Desktop\holotest\App\holotest\App.cs 58 Active

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

I checked out your link and made sure that the toolkit and windows 10 uwp sdk was installed but the same error still occurs. Now i have both VS 2015 Update 3 and VS 2017 installed could that be causing the machine to be confused? I found that if i delete those 2 lines of code that the emulator opens but then the following error appears whenever the origami (anything else as well) app tries to launch

"Unable to activate Windows Store app "Origami_sx6pycx103f58'. The activation request failed with error 'Access is denied'.

• Options
    Jimbohalo10Jimbohalo10 ✭✭✭

@AvionicHologram said:
    I checked out your link and made sure that the toolkit and windows 10 uwp sdk was installed but the same error still occurs. Now i have both VS 2015 Update 3 and VS 2017 installed could that be causing the machine to be confused?

I have had BIG problems with VS 2015 and VS 2017 installed on the same Windows 10. My fix was to uninstall them both and Unity 5.5F3.

Then read https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/install_the_tools and install VS 2015 first then HoloLens emulator

Then install Unity 5.5.3 from Unity download archive

Login as Administrator Run VS 2015 using "Run as Administrator"

New Project template -> Visual C++ -> Universal Windows -> Holographic Template. Click ok. When the template solution appears select Holographic 10.0.14393 emulator, x86,Debug. Build the solution and deploy.
    For the first time HoloLens Emulator will request elevated priority.

This installs the Hyper-V into Windows 10 Professional. If anything fails then the emulator in not installed correctly and you may need to go into your PC hardware.
    In the BIOS, the following features must be supported and enabled:
    Hardware-assisted virtualization
    Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
    Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
    In Windows 10 Pro
    Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> ensure that "Hyper-V" is selected for the Emulator installation to be successful.

Now you can start Unity 5.5.3 start the HoloLens Academy 101E https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/holograms_101e

and download and decompress the files

and Open the project in Unity and follow the tutorial given in the link above

• Options

Thank you i am going to give this a go. I will let you know how it goes and i greatly appreciate your input. (I read both links before but will do so again to make sure i didnt jack something else up). Thank you for your time.

• Options

sigh back to the drawing board. downloaded Unity 5.5.3 and it failed to build saying catastrophic error. Downloaded the newest unity which apparantly came out yesterday no trouble building however when i try to open the file in visual studio the project needs a newer version of visual studio and directs me to VS 2017 download :{ going to uninstall VS15 before I download VS17 and try from there :disappointed:

• Options
    edited May 2017

@Jimbohalo10 ok update. no matter what i try on the work computer i am just getting constant errors. Our IT guy says he did a check and my computer doesn't support the following:
    I went home and decided to test on my 6month comp (one at work is at least 5). Downloaded VS 2015 and unity 5.6.1. VS said it needed an updated version to play the unity file :neutral:
    Downloaded 2017 (kept vs 2015 installed) and it ran perfectly without a hitch. So I am guessing that those 2 options are preventing my computer at work from running the hologram correctly?

Going to try one last VS/Unity purge and reinstall and see but I don't have much faith. Thank you for your time.

• Options

I am also having the same error as OP. I am running Visual Studio 2017 Update 3.
    I have ticked UWP when installing Visual Studio 2017 but it wont work. Is there any suggestions for me to get it work. I am stuck with running the Emulator since 3 weeks already.

• Options

@riazmuns Hey Man, have you checked your bios settings that @Jimbohalo10 mentioned
    "This installs the Hyper-V into Windows 10 Professional. If anything fails then the emulator in not installed correctly and you may need to go into your PC hardware.
    In Windows 10 Pro
    Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> ensure that "Hyper-V" is selected for the Emulator installation to be successful."

Once I got a computer with the proper bios it worked perfectly. I was also getting that on just the Emulator, are you getting it when you deploy on the emulator, HoloLens or both?

• Options

Hey , I am getting that error in both emulator and hololens. What are the steps of installation did you follow?

I first installed VS 2017 (ticked UWP and Game Support)

and when i build, it wont built (once if it gets built, it will deploy to any platform, even 2D apps wont work)

Help me plz!!

• Options

@riazmuns I simply followed @Jimbohalo10 instructions in the above post "I have had BIG problems with VS 2015 and VS 2017 installed on the same Windows 10. My fix was to uninstall them both and Unity 5.5F3.

Then read https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/install_the_tools and install VS 2015 first then HoloLens emulator

Then install Unity 5.5.3 from Unity download archive

Login as Administrator Run VS 2015 using "Run as Administrator"

New Project template -> Visual C++ -> Universal Windows -> Holographic Template. Click ok. When the template solution appears select Holographic 10.0.14393 emulator, x86,Debug. Build the solution and deploy.
    For the first time HoloLens Emulator will request elevated priority.

This installs the Hyper-V into Windows 10 Professional. If anything fails then the emulator in not installed correctly and you may need to go into your PC hardware.
    In Windows 10 Pro
    Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> ensure that "Hyper-V" is selected for the Emulator installation to be successful.

Now you can start Unity 5.5.3 start the HoloLens Academy 101E https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/holograms_101e

and download and decompress the files

and Open the project in Unity and follow the tutorial given in the link above
    "